Elderly man attacked by rabid fox while playing golf | Public Spaces
CALDWELL COUNTY - A 76-year-old Hickory man has begun rabies treatments after he was attacked by a rabid fox while playing golf in Caldwell County.
According to the Caldwell County Animal Control, the man was playing golf with friends on Wedneday at the Granada Farms Country Club Golf Course in Granite Falls.
According to reports, the fox came out of the woods around 2:30 p.m. and attacked the man, biting him on the bottom part of his leg. Reports state that the men playing golf with the man began beating the fox with their golf clubs. Caldwell County Animal Control says the animal was killed by the men.
More News (story continues below):
- Cops: Doctor flees country after raping woman at his office
- Woman kicked out of court because of pot-smoking Bob Marley t-shirt, officials say
- Man stabbed by Hells Angel gang member at biker bar, girlfriend claims
- Motorcycle, goose collide, sending man to hospital
- Cops: Father of bride gets bill, threatens to 'stab someone'
Greg Greene, Director of Caldwell County Animal Control, says the fox was sent for testing and results came back positive for rabies on Friday, May 13. Greene says the man has begun rabies treatments at an area medical facility.
This is the third confirmed report of rabies in Caldwell County in 2011. The first report was a skunk in the Hudson area and the second was a raccoon in the Granite Falls area.
For more information, contact Caldwell County Animal Control at 828-757-8625.
Top Hickory Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Investigators honored after elementary teacher busted, convicted in child porn ring
- Woman convicted on drug charges from 2011 case
- "Baker's Dozen" indicted on meth charges, more arrests likely
- "Music Millie": 80+-year-old woman teaching inmates in youth prison
- Man to be deported after serving time for sex offense