Fire boat sinks in Lake Norman | News
DENVER, NC (WBTV) - Fire crews with the Denver Fire Department got an unusual call Saturday morning. Their boat was underwater at the marina.
The boat was complete submerged along the dock at the marina in Catawba County. Marina staff contacted the fire department around 9:30 a.m.
The boat was raised from the water Saturday afternoon. The boat was then moved to headquarters for storage and repair. Some oil leaked out from the vessel, but the department says it was contained and removed from the water.
The cause of this incident is undetermined at this time. There is an investigation underway through both the Catawba County Sheriff's Department as well as Denver Fire Department.
According to the department, there are no indications that there are any connections between this incident and gun shot damage to the motor of another rescue boat a couple of weeks ago.
While the fire boat is out of service, there will be contingency plans in place for fire boat response to the Eastern Lincoln County shores of Lake Norman through a mutual aid agreement with Cornelius Fire Department.
Copyright 2011 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Hickory
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials: Hwy 150 closed after fatal Mooresville wreck
- Report: High school PE teacher accused of texting, touching student
- Charlotte high school placed on lockdown after suspicious package found
- Plane found in Lake Norman sank in 1974, officials say
- Police looking for two men who robbed north Charlotte bank
- Man shot after firing at deputies, trying to rob store, officials say
- Report: Woman stole $4,000 coin collection from man "helping her out"
- NCIS-Carolinas cite Sheriff's Office for support in high profile larceny investigation
- Unwanted prescription drop off this weekend
- Teachers selling BBQ to show "Love for Leah"