Investigators: Apartment fire caused by combustibles near heater | News
HICKORY, NC (WBTV)- Investigators have determined the cause of a weekend fire at an apartment complex that injured on person and displaced three people.
Hickory firefighters responded the call Sunday, January 27, just before 9:30 p.m. on 2nd Street Place Southwest.
When they got to the scene, firefighters reported flames coming from the second floor windows of an apartment building.
A second-alarm was activated, but it still took 21 minutes to put out the flames.
Catawba County EMS, Hickory Rescue Squad, and Hickory Police Department responded to the scene for assistance.
One man received second-degree burns as he escaped the flames, and is expected to be okay.
Due to fire and water damage, power to the apartment complex was disconnected and the occupants displaced. The total damage is classified as "major".
The Red Cross is helping the victims.
On Friday, February 1, investigators said they determined that the fire was started by combustibles that were too close to a heater.
Copyright 2013 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Hickory Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Investigators honored after elementary teacher busted, convicted in child porn ring
- Woman convicted on drug charges from 2011 case
- "Baker's Dozen" indicted on meth charges, more arrests likely
- "Music Millie": 80+-year-old woman teaching inmates in youth prison
- Man to be deported after serving time for sex offense