Man arrested for deadly Catawba Co. shooting | News
HICKORY, NC (WBTV)- Hickory Police have arrested a man they believe to be responsible for a deadly shooting early Tuesday morning.
Catawba County EMS officials say the shooting happened on 19th Avenue Northeast just before 4 a.m.
Billy Dellinger, 35, was taken to Frye Regional Medical Center where he later died from his injuries, police told WBTV.
Investigators said the shooting was a result of a verbal argument between Dellinger and Maurice Centel Mayfield, 22, which started at a house party.
Mayfield was arrested just before 5 p.m. and charged with first degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injuries, and a probation violation.
His first court appearance will be Wednesday in the Newton District Court.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Hickory Stories
Upcoming Events near Hickory
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Investigators honored after elementary teacher busted, convicted in child porn ring
- Woman convicted on drug charges from 2011 case
- "Baker's Dozen" indicted on meth charges, more arrests likely
- "Music Millie": 80+-year-old woman teaching inmates in youth prison
- Man to be deported after serving time for sex offense