Man arrested for deadly Catawba Co. shooting | News
HICKORY, NC (WBTV)- Hickory Police have arrested a man they believe to be responsible for a deadly shooting early Tuesday morning.
Catawba County EMS officials say the shooting happened on 19th Avenue Northeast just before 4 a.m.
Billy Dellinger, 35, was taken to Frye Regional Medical Center where he later died from his injuries, police told WBTV.
Investigators said the shooting was a result of a verbal argument between Dellinger and Maurice Centel Mayfield, 22, which started at a house party.
Mayfield was arrested just before 5 p.m. and charged with first degree murder, assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injuries, and a probation violation.
His first court appearance will be Wednesday in the Newton District Court.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Hickory
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail
- Charges dropped against Lincoln Co. dad in kids' deaths
- Report: Woman stole $4,000 coin collection from man "helping her out"
- NCIS-Carolinas cite Sheriff's Office for support in high profile larceny investigation
- Unwanted prescription drop off this weekend