Man hit, killed on lawnmower while going to check mailbox, police say | News
NEWTON, NC (WBTV)- A Newton man was killed on his lawnmower Tuesday when he was hit by a car while riding to his mailbox.
The incident was reported around 6 p.m. on the 2400 block of NC Highway 10 West, according to a news release from the Newton Police Department.
Officers arrived on scene to discover that a vehicle had hit a man on a riding lawnmower.
The driver of the car, 65-year-old Betty Witten Cash, was treated at the scene for non-life threatening injuries, according to the release.
The man on the lawn mower, identified Wednesday as 67-year-old Charles Albert Warren, was taken to a local hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
The highway was closed for several hours while investigators cleared the scene.
The investigation is ongoing.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Hickory Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Investigators honored after elementary teacher busted, convicted in child porn ring
- Woman convicted on drug charges from 2011 case
- "Baker's Dozen" indicted on meth charges, more arrests likely
- "Music Millie": 80+-year-old woman teaching inmates in youth prison
- Man to be deported after serving time for sex offense