Man hit, killed on lawnmower while going to check mailbox, police say | News
NEWTON, NC (WBTV)- A Newton man was killed on his lawnmower Tuesday when he was hit by a car while riding to his mailbox.
The incident was reported around 6 p.m. on the 2400 block of NC Highway 10 West, according to a news release from the Newton Police Department.
Officers arrived on scene to discover that a vehicle had hit a man on a riding lawnmower.
The driver of the car, 65-year-old Betty Witten Cash, was treated at the scene for non-life threatening injuries, according to the release.
The man on the lawn mower, identified Wednesday as 67-year-old Charles Albert Warren, was taken to a local hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
The highway was closed for several hours while investigators cleared the scene.
The investigation is ongoing.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Hickory
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials: Water line leak forces closure of 2 lanes of Hwy 150
- Officials: Hwy 150 closed after fatal Mooresville wreck
- Report: High school PE teacher accused of texting, touching student
- Charlotte high school placed on lockdown after suspicious package found
- Plane found in Lake Norman sank in 1974, officials say
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail
- Charges dropped against Lincoln Co. dad in kids' deaths
- Report: Woman stole $4,000 coin collection from man "helping her out"
- NCIS-Carolinas cite Sheriff's Office for support in high profile larceny investigation
- Unwanted prescription drop off this weekend