Mayfield's wife files for bankruptcy protection | News
CATAWBA COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - The wife of former NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection.
The moves comes after their home was put up for auction in April, following foreclosure. The multi-million dollar home was bought for $1.7 million by their creditor, Carolina Farm Credit, which owned the original mortgage.
The Mayfield's owed more than $3 million on the home. The bankruptcy papers say their outstanding debt ranges between one and ten million dollars.
Jeremy Mayfield has been plagued by legal trouble and debt since he tested positive for meth in 2009. The drug use ended his NASCAR career.
Mayfield faces several criminal charges relating to stolen property.
His wife, Shana, filed for the bankruptcy protection earlier this month. It's possible the couple could keep their home. A hearing is scheduled next month.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Hickory
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials: Water line leak forces closure of 2 lanes of Hwy 150
- Officials: Hwy 150 closed after fatal Mooresville wreck
- Report: High school PE teacher accused of texting, touching student
- Charlotte high school placed on lockdown after suspicious package found
- Plane found in Lake Norman sank in 1974, officials say
- Man shot by deputies during standoff released from hospital, taken to jail
- Charges dropped against Lincoln Co. dad in kids' deaths
- Report: Woman stole $4,000 coin collection from man "helping her out"
- NCIS-Carolinas cite Sheriff's Office for support in high profile larceny investigation
- Unwanted prescription drop off this weekend