Mayfield's wife files for bankruptcy protection | News
CATAWBA COUNTY, NC (WBTV) - The wife of former NASCAR driver Jeremy Mayfield has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection.
The moves comes after their home was put up for auction in April, following foreclosure. The multi-million dollar home was bought for $1.7 million by their creditor, Carolina Farm Credit, which owned the original mortgage.
The Mayfield's owed more than $3 million on the home. The bankruptcy papers say their outstanding debt ranges between one and ten million dollars.
Jeremy Mayfield has been plagued by legal trouble and debt since he tested positive for meth in 2009. The drug use ended his NASCAR career.
Mayfield faces several criminal charges relating to stolen property.
His wife, Shana, filed for the bankruptcy protection earlier this month. It's possible the couple could keep their home. A hearing is scheduled next month.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Top Hickory Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Investigators honored after elementary teacher busted, convicted in child porn ring
- Woman convicted on drug charges from 2011 case
- "Baker's Dozen" indicted on meth charges, more arrests likely
- "Music Millie": 80+-year-old woman teaching inmates in youth prison
- Man to be deported after serving time for sex offense