Teen girl raped outside church, two teens charged, police say | Crime
HICKORY, NC (WBTV) - A teenage girl says she was raped outside of a Hickory-area church after a group meeting over the weekend.
According to police, the incident happened outside of the Exodus Church on Highland Avenue on Saturday evening.
Police say some teens had gathered at the church for a meeting. After the meeting, a 14-year-old girl claims she was raped outside of the church.
Her parents called police who went to the church and questioned several people.
Two teenage boys, 15 and 17-years-old, were questioned and later charged. The charges for the 15-year-old were filed in juvenile court.
Seventeen-year-old Mikal Gray was charged with first-degree rape and first-degree sexual offense. He was arrested by Hickory police and is being held on a $300,000 bond.
Officers say the teenage victim knew both boys.
It is unclear if the meeting was a church-related meeting, police say, because the church allows many groups to meet on its property.
Copyright 2012 WBTV. All rights reserved.
Upcoming Events near Hickory
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Officials: Hwy 150 closed after fatal Mooresville wreck
- Report: High school PE teacher accused of texting, touching student
- Charlotte high school placed on lockdown after suspicious package found
- Plane found in Lake Norman sank in 1974, officials say
- Police looking for two men who robbed north Charlotte bank
- Teachers selling BBQ to show "Love for Leah"
- Investigators: 21st Meth lab in Lincoln Co. this year found, man arrested
- Lincoln Co. Sheriff kicks off 'Top 40' drug round-up Wednesday
- Deputies: Denver man arrested after he tried to break into neighbor's house
- Duo arrested after robbing store with BB gun, knife, police say