90-year-old daycare worker enjoys working too much to retire | Community Spirit
HICKORY, NC (WBTV)- When the Brown Chevy Nova comes barreling down Highway 127 in Hickory, it just can't seem to pass Tender Care Child Development without turning in.
90-year-old Mary Berryhill is behind the wheel reporting for duty Tuesdays, Thursdays, and some Wednesdays for 23 years.
"I guess it's just habit," "Miss Mary" says when asked why she keeps coming to work. She's a little humble in her answer, because it's pretty obvious, she loves the kids and they love her.
Mary comes in before 10 a.m. to prepare lunches for the kids. She stacks dozens of plates on a cart and hustles to each room.
She could have quit years ago, but can't seem to bring herself to keep herself at home.
Mary turns 91 on May 22nd. She's said she's considered retiring then, but she also said that twice since she turned 90.
Top Hickory Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Investigators honored after elementary teacher busted, convicted in child porn ring
- Woman convicted on drug charges from 2011 case
- "Baker's Dozen" indicted on meth charges, more arrests likely
- "Music Millie": 80+-year-old woman teaching inmates in youth prison
- Man to be deported after serving time for sex offense