Water is safe after sewer overflow |
Title (Max 100 Characters)
City of Hickory Public Utilities responded to a sanitary sewer overflow on February 20, 2013 overnight.
The overflow was due to blockage from debris and a system pipe failure from aging infrastructure.
The sanitary sewer overflow occurred at the 800 block of US Hwy 70, SW on a Terra Cota line that is approximately 80 years old that crosses US Hwy 70, SW in this area.
City of Hickory Public Utilities staff was able to determine the cause of the overflow by using closed camera TV video equipment with the assistance of the Town of Long View staff.
The sanitary sewer overflow was calculated to be approximately 10,000 gallons discharged into an unnamed tributary of the Henry Fork River.
Traffic along US Hwy 70, SW in this area was not affected by the incident.
Flow in the sanitary sewer line was restored after the debris was removed and is operating properly at this time. Future repairs to address the infrastructure issues are currently being planned and will be pursued in the near future by City of Hickory Public Utilities.
The Mooresville Regional Office of the Division of Water Quality was notified, and the spill had no negative impact on the environment. If you have any questions about this overflow, call the City of Hickory Public Utilities Department at 828-323-7427.
Top Hickory Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Deputies: Man reported stolen motorcycle, hid it in storage
- NASCAR to honor Dick Trickle after suicide in cemetery
- South Fork Volunteer Fire Department receives $60,000 NC State grant
- Drug busts net meth lab, alcohol still, deputies say
- Deputies: Mom charged after lying about kidnapping, sparking false Amber Alert
- Investigators honored after elementary teacher busted, convicted in child porn ring
- Woman convicted on drug charges from 2011 case
- "Baker's Dozen" indicted on meth charges, more arrests likely
- "Music Millie": 80+-year-old woman teaching inmates in youth prison
- Man to be deported after serving time for sex offense